In 2018 in Australia, 3046 people lost their lives to suicide. This equates to eight people per day who take their own lives, compared to three a day who die on our roads. The ripple effect of this is far reaching and has devastating impacts.
Here at Adventure Connections we believe that every individual deserves the right to live a full, happy and healthy life, with the ability to cope with the stressors of life. To achieve this we need to focus on the individual and build their protective factors and reduce their risk factors.
The World Health Organisation defines mental health as “a state of wellbeing in which every individual realises his or her own potential, can cope with the normal stresses of life, can work productively and fruitfully, and is able to make a contribution to her or his community”(WHO 2014).
Adventure Connections offers a variety of prevention, early intervention and recovery support programs, in the outdoors, that are aimed at preventing, alleviating, and reducing the suffering or distress caused by suicide and mental illness, depression, anxiety and other related diseases in the Australian Community.
We understand that achieving and maintaining good mental health requires;
- building people’s protective factors,
- minimising their risk factors,
- breaking down the barriers to seeking help
- and reducing the stigma associated with mental illness
However, reducing inequalities in mental health cannot be achieved without reducing inequalities in a person's physical health and this is why Adventure Connections programs are designed to address the social determinants of health, by tackling both mental and physical health inequalities in Australians.
Our programs help facilitate and activate good health (mental, physical, cultural and spiritual), by empowering the Australian Community to adopt and maintain healthy behaviours and lifestyles.
Improve Mental Health
- Improve public understanding of the catalysts of good mental health
- Shape environments conducive to good mental health
- Increase resources that support healthier lives mentally
- Facilitate and activate healthy behaviours and lifestyles
- Create opportunities for social inclusion and connection
- Reduce Social Harms
- Increase resilience
Increase Physical Activity
- Create opportunities for people to engage in physical activity, at all levels
- Shape environments to enable physical activity and reduce sedentary lifestyles
- Promote active living as part of daily life
- Increase the knowledge of the benefits of physical activity
- Increase resources that support healthier lives physically
Adventure Connections empowers the Australian Community, to take control over their own mental health by increasing their knowledge and skills so that they can adopt and maintain healthier behaviours and live a healthier, more for filled life.