The World Health Organization defines mental health as “a state of wellbeing in which every individual realises his or her own potential, can cope with the normal stresses of life, can work productively and fruitfully, and is able to make a contribution to her or his community” (WHO 2014). Unfortunately, in 2018, 3046 people lost their lives to suicide, we currenlty lose 8 people a day to suicide, compared to 3 a day who die on our roads and the ripple effect of this is devastating the community (WA Health Commission).
Adventure Connections purpose is to promote and facilitate good health (mental, physical, cultural and spiritual) and activities that encourage healthy lifestyles, reducing the prevalence of mental illness and suicide whilst also increasing protective factors to prevent other diseases such as Obesity and Heart Disease in Australians, in particular:
Children and young people
People that are disadvantaged through economic, physical, cultural, social or educational factors
People living with mental disability and their families
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities
- Increase physical activity in the outdoors
- Increase partnerships between industries and organisations to facilitate a holistic, integrated approach to health and wellbeing, in the outdoors
- Provide and facilitate opportunities for capacity building, through a wide variety of events, activities, workshops.
- Empower community to adopt and maintain healthy behaviours
- Provide opportunities to create healthy environments
- Provide evidenced based initiatives to deliver positive health outcomes
- Reduce the incidence of mental illness and suicide in Australia